Dehydration: causes, symptoms, and solution
Many people have thought, “ why am i dehydrated even though i drink water.” This is because your body does not have an appropriate amount of fluid for some reasons that cause dehydration. When the body loses excessive body fluid, it will be called dehydration. It can be because of heat, excessive activity, insufficient fluid consumption, excessive sweating, or medication side effects. One can prevent dehydration by drinking more water, ORS, or sports drinks. Staying in a cool place will also help to prevent dehydration.
Why am i dehydrated even though i drink water?
- You do not drink enough water in actuality.
Everyone has a different body, so the amount of water intake also varies among people. It depends on size, weight, and height. You should also drink water according to your physical activities. So, drink an extra glass of water when you feel thirsty next time. But, see a doctor if you face several levels of dehydration.
2. You are consuming dehydrated fluids.
Dehydrated fluids are those beverages or drinks which cancel all your water intake, and you remain dehydrated even though you drink a lot of water. For example, your morning coffee might be tempting for you, but it prevents you from staying hydrated. Caffeine is present in coffee and other sugary drinks, which release diuretics. Diuretics cause excessive loss of body fluid.
3. You are not drinking water with an adequate amount of electrons.
You may be drinking water that has missed electrons. That means no sodium, chloride, magnesium, and potassium in your water, essential for your body fluid. For example, you lose electrons after exercise when you sweat.
How to know I am dehydrated
Suppose you are experiencing excessive thirst and dry mouth. Additionally, you will also feel dizzy because of less body fluid.
- Symptoms in infants or children
- Dry mouth and tongue
- No tears when crying
- No wet diapers for three hours
- Sunken eyes, cheeks
- Hollow soft spot on top of the skull
- Listlessness or irritability
- Symptoms in adults
- Extreme thirst
- Less frequent urination
- Dark-colored urine
How can I prevent dehydration?
If you want to beat dehydration as you are suffering a lot from vomiting and diarrhea. Moreover, after drinking a lot of water, you still feel thirsty, so you need to follow the mentioned guidelines.
- Avoid sugary drinks like coffee. Try to drink fresh water mixed with lemons ( for fruity taste) in the morning instead of drinking any caffeine-containing drink like coffee.
- Consume a drink with an appropriate amount of electrons. Mix your filtered water with an electrolyte sachet in your bottle for your next workout.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Consume eatable items with some amount of water like fruits and vegetables.
- Drink fruit juices, sports drinks, milk, and broth, but avoid high-protein and alcoholic beverages.
When to see a doctor if you feel dehydrated
If you are wondering whether you have dehydration or not, you might be thinking of consulting a doctor for confirmation.
You must see a doctor when:
- You have had diarrhea for the last 24 hours.
- You feel you are less active and more sleepy than usual.
- You have black stool or blood in the stool.
- You cannot keep fluid down.