Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card

3 Ways to Apply for Citizenship if You Have an Expired Green Card

Expired Green Cards present some unique challenges in acquiring US citizenship, but what does it take to do so? A blog article exploring the process of applying for citizenship in the US with an expired green card.

What Can I Do If My Green Card Expires?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides two ways for non-U.S. citizens to extend their lawful permanent residence, or green card status: filing an application for a new green card and applying for naturalization as a U.S. citizen.

Do I Need to Travel and Wait for Approval on my Application Prior to Applying For Citizenship?

As an individual who has been in the United States for less than five years with a green card, you have until October 1st to apply for citizenship. However, if your application is denied, you will need to return to your country of origin and wait three months before reapplying for US citizenship. If you are eligible for US Citizenship through a child who has been born in the United States, they can apply on your behalf.

What is the Process for Applying to Become a Citizen of My Country of Choice?

There are three ways to apply for citizenship, which are: through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), through a consular officer at a U.S. embassy, or by applying for an immigrant visa abroad. Depending on the type of green card you have, your application process will be different. If you have an approved green card that expired after 10 years, then your options are to apply again with the USCIS or through a consular officer overseas. If you have an unexpired green card, then your options are to leave the U.S., apply again with the USCIS to receive an extension of your current status, or through a consular officer abroad to obtain permanent residence status.

Is Dual Citizenship Possible with an Expired Green Card?

Each country has different requirements to apply for citizenship, and they vary from country to country. While some countries ask for a certain amount of years to have been a resident in the country before applying, other countries don’t give preference to those who have lived there for a long time. Some countries also require that applicants prove their heritage or ancestry from the particular country.


If you have an expiring green card and want to apply for citizenship, you will first need to be eligible to naturalize and then follow these three steps:
1) Apply for citizenship based on your current status as a U.S. permanent resident
2) File for cancellation of removal
3) File the application with the USCIS

Leave a comment